General and deployment
When testing, it was immediately clear this product is made 100% for patch management. On the other hand, the list only had 14 supported 3rd party applications, which was quite surprising. You didn’t need to look at the list for long: there were some central applications like 7-Zip and VLC Media Player missing. The solution supports three operating systems: Windows, Mac OS and Linux.
Typically for a cloud-based solution, the deployment was easy and fast: it took less than an hour. The solution also offered a trial period. There were no requirements for a server infrastructure with this product, either.
Information security and vulnerability management
On the information security side, this solution has no special features to offer. The vulnerability management has the basic features, meaning it can find the vulnerabilities using inventory data, and then categorize them based on their criticality.
Deployment and installation of application updates
Automox has a fine selection of built-in options for patch installation. From its ready templates you can easily build just the right update policy for your needs. With the solution you can, for instance, choose an update policy based on the vulnerability’s level of criticality.
The solution has all the right basic requisites for a well-functioning installation and distribution process. We couldn’t, however, find any settings related to end-user notifications.
Inventory and update verification
The solution’s inventory quality is solid and includes both devices, their applications, and the application versions. The reporting is also better than average, and the reports were all related to patch management. This is obvious, however, as the solution is only for patch management.
Capacity for best corporate practices
You can choose silent updates with this solution, and centralized agent installation is also possible. Once the application is updated, it reverts to its default settings and shortcut, and you can’t disable automatic updates for applications.
Comparison to CSM products
- Automox is a full-blooded Patch Management solution. With Automox you can manage updates for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X operating systems and 3rd party applications. It is what we call a standalone product, and for the solution to work, you need to install an agent software on devices.
- Out of Centero’s products, CSM Cloud is the one that resembles Automox the most. The difference is, CSM Cloud uses Microsoft’s WSUS technology, meaning the operating system’s in-built Windows Update client takes care of the updates.
- Like CSM Cloud, Automox also recognizes the existing versions and then updates them.
Summary on the Compared Features
- Solution type: Cloud-based and agent solutions
- Number of supported applications: 14
- Supported applications: 1.43/4.00
- Pricing, versatility, and infrastructure: 2.29/4.00
- General features and test use: 1.60/4.00
- Information security: 1.20/4.00
- Vulnerability management: 1.20/4.00
- Inventory and evaluation: 2.00/4.00
- Restart management: 1.60/4.00
- Setting management: 3.60/4.00
- Setting adjustments: 1.00/4.00
- Update verification: 4.00/4.00
- Capacity for corporate practices: 1.60/4.00
- Solution deployment: 3.33/4.00
- Price per year for smaller companies: € 8,570
- Price per year for larger companies: € 85,700
In the next post of the blog series we’ll see how Cloud Management Suite did in the comparison.
For detailed information on the comparison’s results, and the features of the compared applications, check out our Free Patch Management Tools’ Comparison Guide.
Download the guide here »