General and deployment
Invanti, formerly known as Shavlik, is a well-known long-time player in the field of patch management solutions. Going through the products, we discovered at least two other solutions using Ivanti’s update database for 3rd party applications. The solution supports 118 applications, including all the seven we consider the most important ones.
The solution needs a combination of WSUS and SCCM to work. The solution itself doesn’t support business application updates or Microsoft update management, but on the other hand, you can use SCCM for this. The deployment was reasonably easy, but you needed to turn to articles and video tutorials to find the instructions needed.
Information security and vulnerability management
On the information security side, the action log and the possibility to trace the update packages were a definite bonus. Vulnerability management was very standard and basically included monitoring the vulnerabilities and categorizing them based on criticality.
Deployment and installation of application updates
All the previous solutions offered some method for keeping the automatic updates on for specific applications. With Ivanti, there wasn’t an obvious way to do this. Regardless, deployment and installation worked well on this solution.
Inventory and update verification
On this solution as well, the scoring on this sector is based on SCCM’s features.
Capacity for best corporate practices
For two solutions, the updates did not come through to the test terminal, and Ivanti was one of these. We were unable to verify all the features of the update packages, but based on previous experience, we were able to give an estimate.
Comparison to CSM products
- Ivanti, formerly known as Shavlik, has been on the update management market for a long time. Like Solarwinds, the solution has local integrations to WSUS and SCCM products.
- Deploying the solution, you can’t help thinking not much has changed over the years.
- The product’s deployment was extremely difficult compared to Centero’s own SCCM integration. CSM for SCCM doesn’t need the WSUS service to deploy updates on 3rd party applications.
Summary on the Compared Features
- Solution type: Integrating on-premises-solutions
- Number of supported applications: 118
- Supported applications: 2.00/4.00
- Pricing, versatility, and infrastructure: 1.14/4.00
- General features and test use: 2.40/4.00
- Information security: 2.80/4.00
- Vulnerability management: 1.60/4.00
- Inventory and evaluation: 2.00/4.00
- Restart management: 0.80/4.00
- Setting management: 3.20/4.00
- Setting adjustments: 2.00/4.00
- Update verification: 3.00/4.00
- Capacity for corporate practices: 0.00/4.00
- Solution deployment: 1.33/4.00
- Price per year for smaller companies: € 19,282
- Price per year for larger companies: € 192,824
In the next post of the blog series we’ll see how ManageEngine Patch Manager Plus did in the comparison.
For detailed information on the comparison’s results, and the features of the compared applications, check out our Free Patch Management Tools’ Comparison Guide.
Download the guide here »